New Aretaevian claim: the reason libertarians dominate so much of the contrarianosphere is because the fundamental question is not about topic but about obedience. Once you've rejected obedience on ANY serious level, rejecting obedience elsewhere is MUCH easier.
Self-employment: No obedience to a boss
- Self-employment: No obedience to a boss, but work anyhow
- Home-schooling: No obedience to the schools, but learning anyhow
- Unschooling: or to a parent-teacher...
- Science Contrarianism: No obedience to the priests of Harvard, but science anyhow
- Atheism: No obedience to the priests of the cloth, but ethics anyhow
- Libertarianism: No obedience to the state, but cooperation anyhow
- TCS: No obedience to parents, but living anyhow
Note, though, that paper libertarianism (I disagree that the state should do this) is different than acting as if the laws are illegitimate...which is also different from reckless disregard for the law (the bastards do have guns, and you should obey them when they are watching, just as much as you should obey a criminal who is pointing a gun at you).
What else belongs on the anti-obedience list?