- In one word: Feedback.
- In a sentence: reality gives information
awful cheapwhen you try stuff.
And it explains everything:
- The history of life...how did life get here, how did humans arrive? Trial and Error (death), usually called evolution.
- The human mind...how did it get to be how it is? Trial and Error (death), AKA Evolutionary Psychology
- The history of civilization...how did humans become prosperous? Trial and Error(bankruptcy), usually called free-market economics.
- Invention, improving stuff? Iphone 4 vs. 1? Edison's light bulb? Trial and Error, AKA Prototyping. Lean is the Trial and Error-generated mechanism for formalizing (harnessing) the prototyping process.
- Learning, and in particular, becoming expert? Trial and Error. Doing is the core of learning, and the serious learning occurs at the point of identifying errors.
What is it you want to understand about the world? The feedback system is the universal explanatory feature? The question is juist how it applies.